Sunday, July 4, 2010

Independence



The past holiday got me to thinking about 'independence' and what it really means. If you ask me, it should be my middle name. My Mom will tell you, I started fighting for my independence when I was only 4. I finally gained it totally when I left my parents house on my 18th birthday and got my own place. Yep. I had to have it THAT bad! ;)
I've always been a person who needed to do it on my own, and I have. I just really don't see any other way to live, and I thank God daily that I am a woman that was born in a country that allows me to be who I want to be and to plan and live my own life, good or bad. There are so many people, especially women, in the world who are not fortunate enough to have such freedom, and I'm aware of that constantly. I make the most of my complete freedom, and live my life to the utmost.

One thing I've never been able to understand is codependency. People who are unable to do anything at all by themselves! I don't think I'm superior to such folks or anything like that, but I just don't get it! I have traveled the world both on my own and with company, and either suits me just fine. In the meantime, I have friends who wont even go out to have dinner or to get something to eat unless they have someone with them. These people hear me talk about how I went to Spain or Italy all by myself, and they react as if it's as amazing a thing as going to the moon. I laugh at that! I think it's hilarious. I see people that can't even go to the store to get toilet paper alone -- they have to bring the whole family! I have jokes about that, and if I ever get to do standup comedy, you'll hear 'em! I know that part of that is cultural upbringing, but still, don't get the need to be in a group of people all the time. Hell, on occasion I even go to see a movie by myself. Have you ever done that? Even though I have friends that will go with me, sometimes I just feel like doing what I need to do without rounding up the troops. Ya know? I like to be around people when I feel like it, and not a moment before! That's crazy in its own way, because when I go to work, I'm usually dealing with a room full of folks. But then, I'm teaching and having fun, and I'm also the boss of the situation...so....it's pretty cool in its own way! Hate crowds, love solitude. That's me! :)

I have been both married and single, and let me tell ya, single is IT! I love coming home and not have to worry about what anyone else wants, needs or thinks. My home is my haven, and when I feel like it, I'll let someone in! lol! Until then, I'm as happy as a clam doing my own thing the way I want, when I want. I'm guessing that being an only child until I was 6 (when my brother was born) must have helped shape that independent mindset. Even as a child, I had my own room, and all I needed was some crayons, paper, my television and my window to look out of. I always jokingly say that I could live in a cave as long as it has internet access and I can get food delivered!

Anyway, even though Independence Day in America is now over, I have to say I sooooo appreciate all the wars and struggles that have been fought here to make sure that I get to have this freedom! I appreciate every person that stood up and did what they had to do to gain it. God Bless them all! ;)

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...