Thursday, January 7, 2010

Woman Falls Off Pole During Pole Dancing Class - Now Wants to Sue Crunch


Hmmmmmm....my first thought is, who told you to get up on that pole in the first place??? I keep telling people, every new fitness trend you see coming down the pike is not necessarily for you. Yet, if they ever come up with a "Let's throw big heavy boulders til we pass out" workout, I do know several guys who will run to try it, even though they don't spend one hour at the gym. People love to jump on trends and be "with it", sometimes even if it has the potential to kill them!

I do, however, expect that if I, or anyone else, does venture into your acrobat, flying trapeze, or swinging from the chandeliers class that some modicom of safety is guaranteed. If it's an activity where one can really incur serious damage and injury, then extra safeguards should be put in place.

This woman took a class at Crunch in New York (hey, I once worked for them - great classes!), and says that the instructor didn't spot her when she climbed high up on the pole. She had informed the instructor that she wasn't strong enough to hold herself up there beforehand. Well, I'm thinking, if you know you don't have the upper body strength to do that move, why attempt it? Am I wrong to think that?
We all know our limitations. Just because you're trying some trendy new workout doesn't mean that you should just throw caution to the wind and just forget them.
Yes, the instructor should have been there, but I'm sure that there were probably quite a few other people up on poles at the time? How can you spot them all?
As an instructor myself, I really couldn't imagine having to try to catch someone as they come tumbling down off a pole. Perhaps that's one of the reasons I don't teach pole dancing! ;)

So, who's more at fault here? The woman who decided to attempt something beyond her ability, or the club for not having enough safeguards in place to prevent this?
And, by the way, this is my first time hearing of a pole dance injury of this sort, although, pole burn aside, I'm sure they happen.
And, how exactly would you do that? You can't have a spotter for every pole, it wouldn't be cost effective.

I say stick to the ground moves if you know you're too weak to hold yourself up. You already know the dangers. And if it's really that important to you to be this amazing pole dancing wonder, build up that upper body strength a bit in the weight room before taking this class. That's just my opinion.....

26 comments:

Evergreen Thoughts January 7, 2010 at 11:46 AM  

Really interesting to see the int rest of womens for health fitness.Nice One

Janiss January 8, 2010 at 9:40 PM  

I'm with the club on this - you can only do so much to make the place and the group exercise classes as safe for patrons as possible, but you cannot help the stupidity factor. If the woman didn't have enough upper body strength and knew it, she should have stuck to floor moves. Anything else would have been foolhardy.

People need to realize their limitations and respect them. Yes, push yourselves to higher fitness goals, but do it gradually and mindfully. You only get one body; choose your risks wisely.

Tania January 9, 2010 at 4:22 AM  

As a longtime student at S Factor... A pole dancing class, I can say that you can build up your strength without climbing high.
I would hate to see instructors have to spot each advanced student because some studio lost a court case, so now those who are able can't climb unsupervised.
Don't climb unless you're willing to accept responsibility if you fall!

heidi January 10, 2010 at 12:19 PM  

I just wanted to say that I love your new Avatar pic! You look gorgeous and as for suing the gym I think that is ridiculous.Heidi

samdaddycool January 11, 2010 at 11:55 AM  

Too bad for the gym if the lady won the case.

Natural Hair Loss January 12, 2010 at 10:33 AM  

Now-a-days pole dancing is becoming more favourite to some of the women who are related with dancing. They are doing a lot to be expert in those kind of dancing.

self improvement January 13, 2010 at 2:22 AM  

Yeah, I guess she should have been more careful and actually waited for the instructor, before attempting the maneuver, if she knew she cannot handle it up there.

Maya ada January 13, 2010 at 4:26 AM  

Very nice information. I think swimming and dancing are the most good sources by which you can maintain our fitness plus we would have great fun.

Ponce Leon January 13, 2010 at 2:00 PM  

Whoa! A pole dancing class at the local gym?? The workout world is certainly changing.

Bobby Alvarez January 13, 2010 at 4:35 PM  

People these days have no sense of personal responsibility.

Mike Golch January 15, 2010 at 11:51 AM  

Likr you said why try something if you can't handle it????than to try to sue the people for your own mistake????????the fool must have got the idea form the fool that sues over a hot cup of coffee that she was holding in her lap!

eastcoastlife January 15, 2010 at 10:53 PM  

I was thinking of taking up pole dancing but my teenaged son discouraged me. He finds it ridiculous that his middle-aged Mom is doing this... and the school is just opposite his work place. haha....

Healt Body pr3 January 16, 2010 at 10:28 AM  

Dear Admin,

Ur link is ready along time in my blogroll please add my link too?

mavemuskler January 17, 2010 at 12:04 PM  

shit pole dance i a gym WTF.

Joanne Olivieri January 18, 2010 at 2:15 PM  

Nowadays people sue over everything. It's ridiculous. Her falling off the pole is no one's fault but her own. I agree with you completely.

Best Diet Brands January 20, 2010 at 8:33 AM  

Thanks for sharing, no one's fault but her own.

John B January 20, 2010 at 11:06 PM  

This is right up there with suing McD's for spilling hot coffee on yourself...get real.

Web Design Services January 22, 2010 at 1:55 AM  

Hi,
Nice information. Now the pole dancing becomes very popular among the young girls because it is a different dance and also it helps for their fitness.I like it.Keep sharing...

self defense Rob January 24, 2010 at 1:55 AM  

Sounds like my kind of workout facility :) Is there a viewing area?

MMA Conditioning January 24, 2010 at 10:21 PM  

This is just silly. There's no ways he's going to win, at least I hope not. We'll find out.

Raj January 26, 2010 at 2:16 AM  

Yeah really, Too bad for the gym if the lady won the case.

gym equipment January 26, 2010 at 2:41 AM  

I also agree that in this case, the gym is not to blame. I mean if you know you do not have upper body strength, why are you attempting such moves!

I am really keen to take pole dancing classes, I already have great upper body strength but think it will really help with toning of my muscles.

shaine January 26, 2010 at 3:14 AM  

There's a lot of hazard in pole dancing exercise, She have to be careful specially if she's a beginner.

Azure Accessories January 27, 2010 at 10:25 AM  

I'm with the gym...we have to take responsibility for our own actions!!!
Cheers

joseph January 28, 2010 at 12:33 PM  

Thats really bad that she fell down. But whats the mistake of the gym?! no body pushed her..

Antique Engagement Rings March 30, 2010 at 12:08 PM  

It sucks that she fell and hurt herself but sometimes you need to know if your capable of performing such task. Doesn't the gym give you a warning about certain workouts that can be hurtful?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...