Tuesday, July 13, 2010

A True Master Never Stops Being A Student



This is true no matter what profession you're in, or what you're an expert at. There is always something that you don't know, and there is always something new to learn. To stop learning is to become stagnant and obsolete.

Taking the class of a colleague of mine today reminded me of that, and of why every now and then I take the time to see what my professional peers are doing by dropping in and taking one of their classes. My colleague teaches such a different style than I do, and just experiencing something different for a change really opened my head up a bit, and I'm always excited when that happens. We're all learning and evolving as teachers, and I always come out of the situation with new ideas and a fresh perspective on at least a couple of things. That makes my own creative juices start to flow again, I begin to experiment with new methods, and my own techniques become that much stronger.

I think that those who are the absolute best at their craft have this same philosophy. You are never that great and accomplished that you can't still learn something from someone else. Even someone with less experience than you can teach you something, simply because of the fact that we all think differently.

12 comments:

Unknown July 13, 2010 at 11:20 AM  

Very wise post Diva. Unfortunately most don't have your same wisdom.

Thanks!

PLU!

Camille July 14, 2010 at 5:46 PM  

I love this post. It is so true. You can never stop learning. Its probably one of my favorite things to do. Also, learning opens the mind which in my opinion makes you wise.
Thank you for reinforcing the importance of continually learning. You will never know it all, there is always something new to learn.

Unknown July 15, 2010 at 12:36 AM  

diva, very proud of your e books...that is something that i, too, am working on...stay tuned...and that taco bell sign...oops...

peace,
mike

Dori July 15, 2010 at 11:02 AM  

Such a wise post! That is the beauty and the journey of life...there is always something new to learn :)

Paul Eilers July 20, 2010 at 7:11 PM  

When you stop learning in life, you start dying.

Cheers!

Paul

June Zach (Fledgling Blogger) July 21, 2010 at 12:41 AM  

I also have the same principle. Never stop learning. As it is said, the people who succeeds in life know how to learn, unlearn and relearn.

Jack July 22, 2010 at 9:27 AM  

Totally agree. Life gets boring if your filled with over confidence. There's no natural thrill of enjoying every day if you're confident with how much knowledge you actually have. lol Is it weird that this article kinda reminds me of the Karate Kid? haha

William K Wallace July 23, 2010 at 2:41 PM  

Learning is most definitely a life long thing, from a personal point of view I wish I had enough time to learn all the things that I would like too.

TOMAS July 23, 2010 at 4:15 PM  

Thank you for the reminder of the greatest wisdom. True masters show us a secret of the eternal youth and the power of the gratitude, and you spread these news which enable us not to stumble on the achieved already and thus to loose everything we were entrusted to enjoy.
I am proud to invite you to my blog Art by Tomas. Lets ride the sunbeam together

eric.jones July 25, 2010 at 5:58 PM  

Great point and I agree. There is always something new to learn. The best teachers are born from the best students.

Caleb July 26, 2010 at 4:45 PM  

Another interesting twist on this is the saying that you never truly learn something until you can teach it so of course we want to learn as much as possible so we may be able to continue to teach..how else is the world going to evolve ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...