Sunday, March 7, 2010

Real Men Do Aerobics!

You betcha! It takes having quite a pair to step up into a room full of really well coordinated ladies rocking grapevines, hamstring curls and mambo steps and hold your own! Not only that, but to be able to do it in your own manly, masculine style! I love it when I look up and see brave men like yourself coming to take my aerobics classes! Bravo! My question is, though, why don't I see more of you in class?? Some a you'se scared or what? Not tired of that steroid and testosterone fest known as the weight room yet? There is but so much that grunting over a bunch of heavy weights is going to do for you, seriously... ;)

I have to tell you, it's a phenomenon that I and many of the ladies do chuckle about. I once asked a guy why he never takes any aerobics classes. After all, aerobics are good for you! They're fun, they help you improve coordination, exercise your memory and also get in that cardio. Plus, you get to be around a bunch of girls in some nicely revealing workout clothes, something that I KNOW you men appreciate GREATLY.
So, what's holding you back, bruh?
The guy I asked replied to me "I don't do that Mickey Mouse stuff." What??! Mickey Mouse stuff? Are you serious? "So, you think aerobics is just some dancy, prancy fluff, huh?" I counter. He comes back with "Yeah, that's not serious enough for me. That ain't no workout. Just a bunch of women jumping and dancing around (as if he really thinks that's a bad thing). It is so not for dudes!" he declares.
"Come and take my class", I say. "I bet you won't find it quite as easy as you think. I bet you won't even last a half hour", I challenge him. Of course, dude never shows up. The wimp! ;)

Thing is, I know that a lot of men think this way. Until they show up and actually try to take a class, that is. Some manage to hang okay, buy MANY fail! Not as easy as it looks, my dears! But if you hang in there, and come back again a couple times, you will get it. Almost everybody sucks at the very beginning!
Many guys have showed up for my aerobics classes but have never come back. Once they realize that it involves a bit more coordination and wind, and thereby is not as easy as they thought, and that the 70 year old lady in the thong back leotard up in the front row is doing it better than they are, they're out the door! ;)

My specialty is kickbox aerobics, so at least you're getting to do some cool kicking and punching combinations. I'm not doing Jane Fonda aerobics over here! :)
I also teach a mean step class, and I will admit, I do have a few good guys in there, but not many! Still 85 to 90% women!
More men need to start showing up in aerobics class! I don't understand why so many of you are letting a little word like "aerobics" intimidate you so! Is it that you don't want to mess up in front of all the cute girlies? Or is it that this is one area in which you know you can't dominate??? Huh? A fitness diva really wants to know! Do tell, fellas! ;)
Ladies, I think they're scared!

22 comments:

David Funk March 7, 2010 at 11:44 PM  

I have to admit that I laughed at this with you calling guys out! LOL!

I have tried aerobics before, and I can attest that it isn't as easy as most people think. I don't know how most guys think on that, but I think you're right though. I haven't done that but a few times though.

I still do a lot of running for sports I play.

Thanks for the laugh, Fitness Diva! You have that name for a reason!

Jacqueline March 8, 2010 at 4:08 AM  

Those folks are sooo lucky to have you as a teacher/coach/trainer! The guys are definitely missing out.

Azure Accessories March 8, 2010 at 11:04 AM  

lol...very funny!!! If guys actually took the time to see just how good a work out it is there would be more doing aerobics, but what guy wants to be the first???

A few years ago step aerobics was a favorite of mine...
Cheers

Cascia Talbert March 8, 2010 at 1:53 PM  

Good for them! I am glad to hear that aerobics is not just for us women.

Keywest Hotels March 8, 2010 at 5:10 PM  

Whats wrong with working out and loving it...I think its great and yes you'll absolutely get to meet lots of women.
Don't be ashamed, if you enjoy it then just go...your buddies don't have to know, hahahaha.
I say if something makes you feel good why would you stop, enjoy life and have fun!

Promotional Printing March 8, 2010 at 6:40 PM  

I believe so too. Working out is working out, so what if you dance a little, it still causes you to loose weight.

clickonportal March 8, 2010 at 6:40 PM  

I have a brother and he does that. I don't think it is any less manly.

how to crack PSP March 8, 2010 at 9:11 PM  

Nice post. I like how you called the guy out and he wouldn't even show up lol.

As a guy myself, I guess the reason I don't do aerobics is just because I personally like using the free weights. I have nothing against men that do aerobics and I wouldn't say it makes them any less manly, but I do think that is what stops most guys from doing it.

SOLOMONSYDELLE March 9, 2010 at 3:00 PM  

ha, the guys at my gym spend ALL their time weight lifting. Their idea of cardio is taking a stroll around the gym looking at chics, lol!

The Fitness Diva March 9, 2010 at 3:59 PM  

David, thanks! Yes, everybody says that about me and my nick name! ;)

I know that when guys think of aerobics, they think of those cheesy 80's videos with a bunch of women wearing colorful leotards and leg warmers. Guess what -- aerobics have come a long way since then! lol!

Solomon, at my gym, the guys idea of getting cardio is when they're busy flirting with all of the girls. In a way it is, because they're all blowing a lot of hot air then! ;)

The Fitness Diva March 9, 2010 at 4:02 PM  

Thanks, Jacqueline!;)

Heather, I absolutely love step! I actually had to cut down the amount of step I was teaching per week because it was playing havoc with the muscles in my feet! It's great, but too much can hurt ya! ;)

PSP, I like to do both. Some days I'll do a heavy weights session and on other days I'll just go in a rock an hour of cardio via a step class, jump rope or running.
My favorite is to mix it all up, though, and just get it all done!

Patty March 9, 2010 at 9:15 PM  

I love that you're challenging men to rethink aerobics, keep up the good work!

electric treadmill March 10, 2010 at 1:33 AM  

i do aerobic, i dont care if peoples laugh at me, is for my health. period.

did you know, aerobics exercises reduce the level of naturally occurring estrogen, a hormone that protects the colon. A possible explanation could be that men work more vigorously than did the women.

Unknown March 10, 2010 at 5:22 AM  

Your pretty funny for a DIVA!

I went to Aerobics for one reason, and one reason only. (I already had my exercise)Yep, I went for the Lady's!

Peace, Love, and Understanding--Elvis Costello

John B March 10, 2010 at 5:37 AM  

"I don't do that Mickey Mouse stuff." What? There's nothing easy about Aerobics! My wife goes to the gym 3-4 times a week and takes Aetobics classes. I can't keep up with that! Hats off to anyone doing the big A! :)

JuneZach (Fledgling Blogger) March 10, 2010 at 6:09 AM  

Aerobics? Haven't tried this yet. Sounds good. Hehehe!

I really wanna be fit...desperately! :)

The Fitness Diva March 10, 2010 at 9:23 PM  

LOL, Rob! Um, yeah, you're right! ;)

Don, you are a member of a very elite (and smart!) club! The guys that do show up in these classes have the odds all in their favor!
If I were a guy, I'd be in fitness classes all the time! :D

John, your wife must be pretty fit!
Sounds serious! ;)

By the way, guys, there are all types of aerobic fitness classes like cardio combat and strike force. Once again, don't be scared to come on in and give it a try! :D

Apollo March 11, 2010 at 5:12 AM  

I was 'tricked' into one of those step aerobic classes one time by my coach and the hot instructor...haha...she made a bet I could not refuse. All I can say...beginner's class my you know what!

Mia March 11, 2010 at 9:33 PM  

And why not) I have many friends of men involved in fitness.

Anonymous,  October 5, 2010 at 12:13 AM  

I am doing research for my university paper, thanks for your brilliant points, now I am acting on a sudden impulse.

- Laura

Henry,  October 25, 2010 at 4:06 PM  

I remember taking a class out of sheer boredom at college. I was around during winter break, no one was at the gym essentially except several people doing aerobic class. I can tell, after that class, I became hooked.

A lot of these aerobic class are not just aerobic, but total body workouts. They also focus on overall fitness, not how much can you bench pres or do curls. It works on flexibility, endurance/stamina, and speed (depending on the class).

It's a shame that many guys don't see the benefits of it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...